Monday, November 06, 2017

BLUE MONDAY

Blue Monday, “Odds & Ends” edition. Blues but not blues. The Blues What Am? So to speak. You’ll smell trouble, even from the first track. Somethin’ fishy here. The programmer must be on a bender. Strong possibility. All we know is if the shoe fit swear it. Or at it. We had a hard time narrowing it all down for you this time around. But don’t be blue, that’s what we’re here for. And we’ll be rockin’ and rollin’ down by the river in our leopard-skin pill-box hat for the next twelve Mondays or so. . . . —Irving “I’m at a loss for a convincing rationale” Snurd


Little Johnny Taylor • I Smell Trouble • 1964

Oops . . . this is from a pretty scratchy 45 but what are a few clicks and pops among friends?

4 comments:

  1. I love Johnny Taylor's voice on this hot blues track, Frank. Wonder who's playing that guitar?

    P.S. I'm so used to hearing clicks and pops on reissues of old 78s and 45s that I'm almost unaware of them now. The sound on this 45 has got "body."

    P.P.S. I doff my hat to Mr. Snurd! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. It's probably Arthur Wright, recorded in L.A.
      2. I really need to invest in a reissue of this.
      3. You may well throw your hat at Mr. Snurd as this series goes on. . . .

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the additional info, Frank. I have the track by Bobby Bland (1957), but this one is much better!

    Mr. Snurd knows the blues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby Bland's version has long been a favorite, but we sure like this LJT version too! As to Mr Snurd, the jury's out.

      Delete