Friday, January 08, 2016

IF ANYBODY HAPPEN TO ASK YOU
WHO MADE UP THIS SONG . . .

Here is one of 1950’s rowdiest Chicago blues records, the Leroy Foster trio’s completely feral Parkway recording of the traditional “Rollin’ and Tumblin,” with moaned vocals, Little Walter blowing hard on harp, and Muddy’s slide guitar as wild as it ever got. As Muddy was contracted to Aristocrat at the time, he got in trouble with the Chess brothers and had to rerecord “Rollin’ And Tumblin’” a couple of months later for them.



Baby Face Leroy Trio • Rollin’ and Tumblin’ Part 1 • 1950
       
Baby Face Leroy Trio • Boll Weevil [alt] • 1950



“Rollin’ and Tumblin’ Part 1”: Leroy Foster, vocal/drums; Little Walter, vocal/harmonica; Muddy Waters, vocal/guitar. 
Chicago, January 1950

“Boll Weevil [alt]”: Leroy Foster, vocal/drums; Little Walter, harmonica; Muddy Waters, guitar. Chicago, January 1950

3 comments:

  1. What an incredible blues record this is! I posted the A-Side on the old blog, CTTT, but I understand that the sides were reversed on the original Parkway 78 and that it was actually intended to be the B-side?

    I've been listening on and off to the Bear Family Acoustic Blues series. I think you'll disagree, but I'm still disappointed in the sound quality. To my ears, they don't meet the usual high Bear Family standards. I have a few of the songs on older discs that have a better 'mono' sound - I'm still picking up a slight echo in the right channel which gives them an annoying "stereoish" quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agree, this "Rollin' and Tumblin'" is as wild as it gets. I remember when it was first reissued on an old Blues Classics LP as Part 2 (per original 78 issue) it scared the heck out of me, for years I preferred the other side. But for some time this one IS IT for me; happy somehow that it is actually Part 1. . . .

      As to the Acoustic Blues series, I don't have much of a playback system, but I'm happy with the way they sound. I don't supposed Yazoo's remastering will be bettered anytime soon, but the Bears, Frogs, Blues Images, etc., all sound pretty good to me.

      Delete
    2. I don't have a high-tech system either, Frank, but forgot to mention that I almost always listen to music through my headphones. Of course, this is when the problem with the sound quality on these particular sets is most noticeable to me. ;o)

      Delete