Thursday, July 24, 2014

DIRECT TO YOU FROM THE CLUB BIZARRE

When I first heard the issued single version of this song on a Blues Classics LP c.1968 I went completely tilt and thought I was going to fall off this spinning globe they call the earth. Five decades later it still has that effect on me when I listen to it. Here is a preliminary version, no less intense, recorded around the same time as the single on portable equipment at the Club Bizarre in Canton, Mississippi, January 1952. Lotta noise being made by just three musicians: Elmore James, with Ike Turner on piano and an unknown drummer.


Elmore James • Please Find My Baby (Version 1) • 1952




2 comments:

  1. That guitar tone! Hey- If I'm trying to buy THIS version on iTunes, which album is it on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mike, I had a look and there sure look to be a lot of bootlegs out there. The album on Virgin (who are leasing from the owners I believe), Best of the Modern Years, has the issued single, almost the same as the one heard here, same great guitar tone with a little more prominent piano by Ike T. Also, check out "Hand in Hand" from the same session.

      Delete