Monday, June 30, 2014

DINOSAURIC PRECEPTION ROADMAP BLUES

Summer of ’76 I worked briefly as a stripper (no! not that kind) in a print shop and one of the guys in the department always had the radio tuned to Country. The station played this record several times a day, must’ve been a big hit. It was by some guy called Willie Nelson who I’d never heard of before. But I liked it pretty well, it was a rockin’ little number and helped mitigate some of the other dreck that got played all day. So, I didn’t know who Willie Nelson was, and certainly had no idea he was singing a Lefty Frizzell song from a decade and a half earlier. The next year I was working at another place where they sometimes played Country on the radio and here’s Willie Nelson again, chiming in on the final chorus of Waylon Jennings’ “Luckenbach, Texas.” These days it seems like I’ve been a fan of the music of Waylon and Willie most of my life but it really started here with these two songs.




Waylon Jennings • Luckenbach, Texas (Back To The Basics Of Love) • 1977


Get ’em: Ol’ Waylon and The Sound in Your Mind

First week o’ July (that starts tomorrow) we got The Five Blind Boys, Bo Weavil Jackson, Ray Kinney, The Ventures, and a special guest star. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment