Wednesday, May 28, 2014

WE INTERRUPT THIS BROADCAST. . . .

The CD pictured arrived in yesterday’s post-holiday mail. Before putting the CD in to play, I pulled out the booklet and flipped through it quickly. Later I went back to compiler/note writer Chris King’s notes. They begin: “Listen with presence of mind, receptivity, and without distraction, to the first track, Epirotiko Mirologi, but read no further.”

Well, OK, I was up for the game. So about 11:30 p.m. I popped the CD in and listened to the first track, mesmerized. Then I read the rest of the intro notes. King asked some quasi-philosophical questions, quoted Jake Gittes from the movie Chinatown (there is also an epigraph on the front page of the booklet that quotes from Hammett’s The Maltese Falcon) and encouraged the listener to “play the first track again and unravel this yarn.”

OK, again. I was ready to play it again. And again. Over and over. What a track. Mesmerized? I was ready to give up my lifetime love of blues music for a tune/record like this. (I know some of you out there probably think I already did that.) The rest of the CD (I’m only about halfway through it) hasn’t quite hit me yet like the first track and I haven’t read the rest of the booklet notes. All I can say at this point, in the mortal words of Gomer Pyle, is, “Gol-lee!” 

Have a listen and see if you don’t immediately agree. . . .



Alexis Zoumbas

click on song title to listen


The new CD/LP/mp3, Alexis Zoumbas, A Lament for Epirus 1926–1928, released May 20, 2014 on Angry Mom Records, should be available now wherever fine records are sold.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard "Psarades" & "Smyrneiko Minore" by M.Papagika?
    Also, "Good Friday", Eastern hymns by Fairouz, the great Lebanese singer.
    Been enjoying your blog, Brad. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, whoever you are! Marika Papagika's "Smyrneikos Balos" is one of my favorites; I'll have to check some of these other ones out. . . .

      Delete