Monday, May 05, 2014

DINOSAURIC PRECEPTION ROADMAP BLUES

By the late 60s all I knew of Roy Orbison was his big Top 40 hits of the early- to mid-60s. Then somewhere I found out he had recorded for Sun in the 50s, and heard about “Ooby Dooby.” I managed to track down a Sun 45 on somebody’s auction or set sale list and picked it up for ten dollars. Since there wasn’t a lot of hard information available in those days, there was plenty of misinformation and somehow my friends and I got the impression Carl Perkins played lead guitar on this one. I barely knew who Carl Perkins was at that point so it worked for me. Well, this is Roy and the Teen Kings out of Wink, Texas with Roy on vocals, of course, as well as two fierce guitar solos. He had originally recorded “Ooby Dooby” for a small Texas label called Je-Wel earlier the same year, but this is the rerecording the Teen Kings made for Sun in Memphis.


Roy Orbison & Teen Kings • Ooby Dooby • 1956


Get it: The Essential Roy Orbison

Label pic: Discogs

No comments:

Post a Comment