Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DINOSAURIC PRECEPTION ROADMAP BLUES

Moving right along through the dinosauric sludge pits we feature three more records evocative of our mid-60s post-Top 40 period of discovery. Sonny Boy Williamson’s amazing solo piece “Mighty Long Time” with only a vocal bass as accompaniment was heard when a friend loaned a borrowed, cracked Trumpet 78; the flip side “Nine Below Zero” had a nasty chunk missing mid-crack but the 78 revolution and big needle just plowed right through it like it was a freshly paved highway. On Kent’s Original Folk Blues series, Smokey Hogg beckoned from the racks with the exotic song title of “I Bleed Through My Soul,” really just an alternate titling of the more pedestrian “I Believe to My Soul.” More exotic sounds follow with John Fahey’s mythical persona Blind Joe Death, as he shushes his dog mid-take and then resumes on a flavorful remake of Bukka White’s “Poor Boy.”


Sonny Boy Williamson • Mighty Long Time • 1951

Smokey Hogg • I Bleed Through My Soul • 1950

John Fahey • Poor Boy • 1965


Get ’em here: “Mighty Long Time” on King Biscuit Time, “I Bleed Through My Soul” on Serve It to the Right, and “Poor Boy” on The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death.

Album cover: All Music

No comments:

Post a Comment