Sunday, January 19, 2014

SOMEWHERE TO LAY MY HEAD

Here’s a June Cheeks bonus . . . sort of. This 1960s clip from TV Gospel Time begins with Mme Emily Bram’s introduction, “And now, friends, we bring to you The Sensational Nightingales singing ‘Somewhere to Lay My Head.’” The lead singer here, Charles Johnson, was known as “Little June Cheeks” before joining the Nightingales after Rev. Julius Cheeks’ 1959 departure. Johnson certainly has no trouble filling Cheeks’ shoes on this smoking performance. The ’Gales here are JoJo Wallace on guitar, along with Bill Woodruff, Carl Coates, and a young Otis Clay.



Thanks to pannellctp

Want to see and hear more? Check out How Sweet It Was: The Sights and Sounds of Gospel’s Golden Age 
(Shanachie, 2010).

9 comments:

  1. Mr. Jive,
    I remember I posted this on CTTT once and The Hound left a comment saying that it wasn't Julius Cheeks singing. On his blog he has the following shown under the video:

    "The Sensational Nightingales- Charles Brown impersonating June Cheeks,"

    I can't figure that one out. It sure looks like Cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first reaction was "Huh?!" Then I did a little research and the results are in the amended post. The Hound is at least partially right about the lead singer. Many thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  2. That's exactly what I said at the time! Here's the link, if you're interested:

    http://thehoundblog.blogspot.ca/2010/11/rev-julius-cheeks.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write-up, Mr. Jive - thanks for the research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. That was quick and dirty research but about all the depth I'm capable of at the moment. . . .

      Delete
  4. Man, this is great! Isn't it amazing just how much music is out there? This clip is just fantastic.
    I enjoy your blog a lot. Sometimes I'm a daily reader, and other times I listen to a few weeks at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, Mike. However and whenever you dig it is just fine with me . . . stick around, there's more great tunes to come. . . .

      Delete
  5. Love this! Thank you for the post… I look forward to the connection to you incredible knowledge of music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Tim. I was pretty much a-goggled when I came across this TV clip. If you look under the Highway Q-Cs, there's an earlier version led by Johnnie Taylor (yes, that J. T.) but I think the link may be dead. Someday I'll post the one with June Cheeks singing lead. All great, though.

      Delete