Friday, June 28, 2013

D.P.R.B. Nos. 34, 35 & 36

By the early 60s the Great Folk Scare had hit, following on the heels of the dreaded McCarthy Red Scare. All of a sudden you had FOLK! music coming at you on Top 40 radio: “Walk Right In,” “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “Michael Row the Boat Ashore.” A friend’s castoff Joan Baez albums brought me a little ways out of hit parade consciousness, Pete Seeger (no longer blackballed) and his hit version of “Little Boxes” brought me back in. Then the Singing Nun’s “Dominique-inique-inique” summed it all up as record producers searched far and near for anything folky, or exotic (“Sukiyaki,” anyone?), that might make them their next million. Bob Dylan was only just a songwriter credit, as I sang along with Joan Baez albums until my voice changed. . . . Then the Beatles came along and there was your next million or two or twenty.


Joan Baez • Engine 143 • 1961

The Singing Nun (Soeur Sourire) • Dominique • 1963

Pete Seeger • Little Boxes • 1963


Get ’em or find ’em: Joan Baez Vol. 2; Billboard Top Pop Hits 1963; The Golden Age of American Popular Music: 
The Folk Hits

Album cover: All Music

4 comments:

  1. Wow, a triple header! I remember there used to be one of those small reel-to-reel tapes somewhere of me singing along to Dominique in a breathless little voice (but in tune.) It was recorded on my Sony tape recorder, the same one I later used to record the Beatles' appearances on the Ed Sullivan show straight from our TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I think I might have had the Seeger album, too - is it a Vanguard?

    ReplyDelete