Wednesday, November 28, 2012

THE BLUE LIGHT WAS MY BLUES

There was an article on the web the other day about a record store owner coming across a 78 of Robert Johnson’s “I Believe I’ll Dust My Broom” and its being valued at somewhere between $6,000 and $12,000. Record prices sure seem to have gone through the roof, and this one is by no means one of the rarest or most expensive. I was kind of underwhelmed when I first heard a dub of this record on a Folkways collection (see top picture) in the mid-sixties, probably because by that time I’d already discovered “Dust My Broom” and “Dust My Blues,” a couple of the many storming versions of Johnson’s song that Elmore James seemingly made a career of. Anyway, the article got me to thinking of favorite Robert Johnson songs. Here’s one, made famous in 1969 by the Rolling Stones and Mick Taylor’s slide guitar solo: “Love In Vain,” unadorned, wistful, without hope.



Robert Johnson • Love In Vain • 1937


Find it: King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol. II

No comments:

Post a Comment