Sunday, November 20, 2011

MORE STAPLES? CERTAINLY!

This seems to be Staples week around some of the music blogs I follow. Cussin’ and Carryin’ On has an interesting piece tracing the evolution of the Staple Singers from being primarily straight gospel singers to having a more all encompassing vision of the power of their music to effect change after Pop Staples heard Martin Luther King, Jr. speak. Then over at The Singing Bones, Ana B discusses the Staples’ first two Vee-Jay LPs, and offers a listen to their 1959 single “So Soon,” with a lead by Mavis Staples, “. . . whose voice qualifies as a force of nature. . . .”

I’ve also posted a few Staple Singers tunes here this past week (and previously), and today I’d like to add a couple more early favorites, the B-sides to their first two Vee-Jay singles. The first is probably my favorite Mavis lead, 1955’s “God’s Wonderful Love”—I haven’t any words to describe how powerful and moving her singing is on this stark side. Next up is the Roebuck-led “I Know I Got Religion,” with his high vocal and shimmering guitar anchored by the responsive “certainly, Lord”s of Mavis, Cleo, and Pervis. 


The Staple Singers • God’s Wonderful Love • 1955

The Staple Singers • I Know I Got Religion • 1956


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I remember hearing a couple of tracks from the '60s that I wasn't terribly impressed by at the time and didn't get around to checking out their earlier material. So, thanks for posting these! Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we go, beautiful! Truly a Staples week all around. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete